Friday, April 28, 2006

Rock Bottom Remainders

Last night I lucked out and got a free ticket to see the Rock Bottom Remainders, a band composed (almost) entirely of famous authors. And yes, they were about as good as you would expect given that description! :) Actually, they were very entertaining, and I knew far more of the songs they played than I did for the band that opened for them (Crazed Individuals, who I could tell were talented, but still could have done without), which says more about my lack of with-it-ness than anything else.

The concert was a benefit for Denver SCORES, an afterschool program that seeks to fight both illiteracy and obesity among children by combining soccer and poetry. (Unusual, but cool.) A friend of mine works there, which is the only reason I heard about the event in the first place. I'll post some photos later today - and can I say, I haven't actually read The Joy Luck Club or any of her other writing, but having seen Amy Tan in dominatrix get-up to sing "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" has given me a whole new level of respect for her as a person!

No comments: