Friday, December 16, 2005

Movie reviews

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Excellent. Of course, they had to cut all the subplots, superfluous exposition, most of the character development, and a couple of the characters in order to fit into acceptable-movie-viewing-length, but still. Powerful. And because it's so condensed, I found I was still processing it for a couple days afterwards. Even if you've read the book and know how it ends (and you really should read the books if you haven't already), prepare to be deeply moved.

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Excellent. Some minor plot points and characters were cut for length, but I don't think you lose anything by it. And I'm sure the debate on this will continue, but as a liberal Christian, I personally felt that Disney did justice to the book as a fantasy story without shoving the allegorical elements down anyone's throat. Other notes:
  • I liked the portrayal of Edmund early in the film better than I expected to - the opening scenes give just a touch more background than I remember (though admittedly, I haven't read it in several years now).
  • The battle scenes are violent, of course, but amazingly, there is no sign of blood. (No blood = less traumatic?)
  • And the award for best dramatic range portrayed digitally: Aslan.

Walk the Line: Excellent. (I know, it sounds like I love everything I see. I make no guarantees that anyone else will enjoy these - but they suited my tastes!) I have no idea what level of historical accuracy the film either aspires to or attains, but this was a compelling story, powerfully acted. And, of course, the music will stay with you. I'm a little conflicted about the portrayal of June Carter (Cash); it's a wonderful role - a strong, talented woman who won't be moved until she's ready, who's caring and compassionate, stubborn and independent, attractive and her own person too. But it's such a great portrayal that the effect is to lift up this real woman as "an angel" (although she denies it in the film when Johnny tells her she is). She shows pique, but no real rage; the film is more interested in Cash's failed attempts to live up to the standards set by his parents than by her struggle to stand apart from her family. So it becomes a story about a lost boy trying to destroy himself until he's saved by the love of a good woman. If you're okay with that kind of story, this is a good one.

I'll post more on the afore-mentioned topics (and others) in the next few days. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: