Thursday, March 03, 2005

Greetings & salutations!

Welcome to my brand-new blog!

Not sure yet what I'll focus on here, but I welcome your comments. Just please try not to prove to me that it's impossible to be liberal and a Christian. We do exist, and there are more of us than you might think! (Genuine questions about what that means are welcome.)

Beyond that, I find real value in established religion, in my case the United Methodist Church, as uncool as that is these days. Spirituality is an important part of religion, but when it's set loose as its own esoteric option, it tends to lose the support and accountability that communities can provide.

Granted, the church has its own issues, and plenty of them, which is part of why I identify with liberal/progressive movements (theologically and politically). Renewal, adaptation, and ongoing reinterpretation of the tradition are crucial to the continuing vitality of institutionalized religion - at the same time that the stories, songs, symbols, rituals, and events of the tradition through history provide an important counterbalance to society's emphasis on the new and the now.

Well, that's my starting-point. Who knows where the journey will take us!

6 comments:

Nate said...

Howdy and Good Luck! I found your blog through the random "Next Bloger" feature. Looking forward to some good posts. I myself am a fairly liberal, and fairly religious guy (Roman Catholic in my case). Anyway, good luck!

Nate
http://nateromano.blogspot.com

Amy Sens said...

Welcome to the Blog - o - Sphere, Kerry!

amberance said...

I immediately like you due to the fact that in your first post you used the "esoteric".

A said...

Welcome to the Blog World, Kerry!

Kerry said...

Hey, thanks, everyone, for the vote of confidence! Feel free to chime in if there are any particular topics you're interested in discussing!

Tara said...

I like it so far--poems, it's so...poetic. A nice way to start off my otherwise blustery rainy day, drying off, if you will, in my office.